Saturday 19 March 2016

Acanthus, Architectural Lights


 Earlier in the year I was asked to make some new work for re:collect's Cabinet of Curiosity that was to be shown in the Unitarian Church in Shrewsbury which was where Charles Darwin worshipped as a small boy.  

I am always trying to think of new ways to display my prints and decided to make some paper cubes to include in the exhibition. I took inspiration from the architectural details on the ironwork of one of the ceiling lights. I have screen printed and blind embossed my interpretation of the acanthus leaves design and made them into cubes for the cabinet. 












I am also referencing the relationship of Emma Darwin, (wife of Charles Darwin) who was the granddaughter  Josiah Wedgewood, the English potter.  The design and raised blind embossed prints are reminiscent of Wedgewood pottery.



Further I screen printed my design onto Japanese Kozuke paper and made one of my artist sketchbook concertina books with blind embossing on the inside cover.








No comments: