Thursday 17 November 2011

Ditherington Flax Mill, Shrewsbury



In September my work was included in an exhibition at Ditherington Flax Mill near Shrewsbury. The mill ceased to be operative quite a while ago, however, it is open on Heritage Days run by English Heritage and it was on one of these days that I visited and photographed traces of its previous life. Here are some snippets of these research photos from my visit:













I am looking forward to exploring memories of Ditherington Flax Mill further and producing more work inspired by the site.








6 comments:

Sandra Robinson said...

I love all those textures, peeling paint and rust can look so beautiful.

anna flores said...

I agree with Sandra, all the textures look wonderful. And I love the nature of rust.

J.G.Nieuwenhof said...

Fab buildings. Great images.Jen

Jacqui Dodds said...

Sandra, Anna and Jen
Thank you for your comments. It is interesting how we can all find something beautiful in the processes of decay isn't it.
Jacqui

Anonymous said...

Really love the fourth "surface" photo down, what wonderful colours.
I'm really interested in flax mills too as I would like to work with flax (I have a great Highland flax sample from Ian Mankin) . It would be my dream to see Dundee reopen its jute mills actually as it really niggles me that its so hard to purchase cloth manufactured in uk. Great post.

Jacqui Dodds said...

Hi Niki thank for your comment I am glad that you have enjoyed reading the post and that you like the colours of the rusty surface against the grey.
I too would like to see more cloth manufactured once again in the UK.
Jacqui